What does sustainability mean to you?

Remove Some RFK Parking Lots - Replace with Youth SportsPlex and Green Space

The RFK Parking Lots are one of the biggest sources of stormwater pollution into the Anacostia. The National Capital Planning Commission has recommended using the northern parking lots for athletic fields and green space. There is not enough space for youth (and adult) sports - soccer, baseball, football, etc. DC should rip out the asphalt lots and replace with usable green space and fields.

2,153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Burke St. ResidentBurke St. Resident commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While voting has closed I would like to support this plan - after numerous years of jogging and biking on the new trails along the river I concur it would be a great use of the space. It will bring a tremendous amount of energy to an area void of it now.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Kingman Park resident and I am all for this. It would be a great use of space, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been done already - the nearby island parks and river trails make this a really cost effective way to improve the neighborhood. To those complaining about the pollution, I cannot understand why you would oppose an idea that would improve the current state. Yes, it would need to be done in a safe and green manner. However, the alternate option would be to leave leave the lots as they are while they city goes back to forgetting about them, letting the current pollution issue only to get worse.

The nearby Kingman Park and Rosedale neighborhoods are rapidly developing with the streetcar plan and expansion down H street. This would just add so much to increase this already developing area.

I also never understood why the above ground metro would be considered an obstacle to a park development. There are so many ways to easily make an above ground metro look appealing. Think of the parks by bridges across the country such as the one near the Brooklyn Bridge.

Anyhow, I fully support this.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may sound unbelievable, but the parking lots currently host some rare neotropical migratory birds! During spring and fall migration, shorebirds (Least sandpipers, Sanderlings, Semi-palmated Sandpipers) along with hundreds of Laughing Gulls roost in the persistent puddles in the parking lot. RFK Parking lots have even been made a bird "hotspot" in eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step=saveChoices&getLocations=hotspots&parentState=US-DC&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2011&reportType=location&hotspots=L1266380&continue.x=31&continue.y=7

I am not against greening the site - that would be great, but there are ways to recreate these low areas so that the District doesn't loose this serendipitous bird habitat!

• bob bobbob bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought that the land was owned by the federal government, and that they wouldn't allow this.

Great idea. Two caveats:

1. The proposal clearly states all the green space, parks and playing fields need to be available to the PUBLIC at large which is perfect. There are reports of the Mayor and council members are thinking of locating a Redskins training facility at this site, which would be a terrible idea since such facilities are closed to the public and used exclusively by millionaire athletes. Let's make sure this excellent proposal does not get changed or hijacked by special interest lobbyists representing sports teams.

2. This can be done, but implementation needs to ensure the construction process will not cause environmental harm to Kingman Park residents or to the Anacostia river. EPA and other studies identified the RFK parking lots as having many problems in terms of pollution, soil types, etc. This should not stop the process, just underscore it be done carefully.

I love this idea. The design details need to be reviewed and modified slightly to take into account concerns and priorities of the Kingman Park and Rosedale community. However, this is exactly what we residents of Kingman Park and Rosedale have been advocating for nearly a decade.

I am a native Washingtonian and I played in RFK Stadium representing my high school (Eastern SHS 1971). I was astonished at how much rain water 40,000,000 gallons pollute the Anacostia River as runnoff. Please create an environtment friendly area w/the parking space. the youth will forever be greatful, benifit and have lasting memories of playing in this area as I and my friends do from competing against each other over the years. God bless you all. Rodney Newman

• mbmb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to the popularity of this suggestion, a group proponents for this project have developed draft plans that show what this new park might might look like. Please see www.capitolriverside.org for details and plans.

The only thing that could improve this idea would be to replace RFK Stadium with a sports complex similar to the PG Sports & Learning Center near FedEx Field.

• Emily BrownEmily Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sports clubs in DC could really use more field space within the city. Besides rugby, Ultimate Frisbee players would benefit, too!

Rugby ...... youth and club, has long since suffered from lack of playing space in DC.

Absolutely! Capitol Hill Little League is growing every year and will need to limit kids playing baseball if we do not get access to more ballfields.

• Ollie SeymoreOllie Seymore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It sounds like a great plan. But I am concern about the environment. As a Kingman Park Resident, most things that
        come into our community does not really benefit our community. I would have to see the real plan/proposal before I vote yes to it.

DC Govt and NCPC always have bright idea but in the end the designs are flawed and the environment and community pay the price.

Just look at the Skateboard Park that was approved DC Events, DC Govt, Maalof Money Cup and NCPC it is a mess.
        So if this is anyway that space will end up.....I will say NO to the plan.

Just my thoughts!

What a perfect space for more greenery and attention. With the skateboarding park over there too, my kids will have plenty of outside exercise all the time.

This would be a great space for an urban-focused central park (as opposed to the wild-focused rock-creek park)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base